What We Do
Philly Tech Hire creates a vibrant marketplace of information and resources for the technology community in Philadelphia to build accelerated talent pipelines that provide access and inclusion of nontraditional workers. Led by Comcast, the City of Philadelphia, Philadelphia Works, PNC and Randstad Technologies our approach to build a system around filling in-demand IT and Tech jobs is:
- Identify in-demand jobs across companies and identify key skills, knowledge and credentials
- Use a validated accelerated curriculum to train nontraditional workers
- Build best practices for internships and registered apprenticeships that bring the most value to both employer and intern
- Develop pipelines from the career & technical education programs at the secondary and post-secondary level that feed prepared trainees into entry-level positions
- Build a brand through our website, phillyTechhire.org, which builds awareness and excitement around careers in IT and Tech for both employers and those looking for a job
- Develop showcase events to display the potential of trainees and the innovativeness and commitment of employers
- Commit to changing hiring practices that exclude workers purely on the basis of an educational pedigree rather than on proven competencies and industry credentials
- Meet regularly to maintain momentum and build successes along multiple fronts.
Attract new partners who add resources and opportunities to the initiative.
Use data-driven strategies to set-up training contextualized with employer feedback.
Support a vibrant start-up community that provides innovation and specialty products to expand the potential growth of all firms in the region
Visit our TechHire Philly page for more information!
For more information about TechHire Philadelphia, contact Mark Edwards.
IT Labor Market Landscape
Below is a snapshot of the Philadelphia labor market demand for IT talent. These are the most demanded skills and occupations from 12/6/15 to 2/3/16.
Sources: Burning Glass Technologies and Emsi (projection data)
Open IT Occupations
Concentrated Demand for IT
- 100% Philadelphia
- 90.9090909091% Nationwide
- Communication Skills
- Organizational Skills
- Problem Solving
Software and Programming Skills
Top 5 Occupations
- Software Developer / Engineer
- Systems Analyst
- Database Administrator
- Computer Support Specialist
- Business Intelligence Analyst
Fastest Growing Occupations (2015-2020)
- Information Security Analysts
- Computer Systems Analysts
- Computer and Information Research Scientists
- Software Developers, Applications
- Computer User Support Specialists
The following organizations are engaged and committing to making the Philadelphia TechHire effort a success: